Beef mince combined with finely diced carrot, celery, onion, chestnuts, seasoning, freshly chopped rosemary then shaped into small meatballs. The tasty meatballs are served with a light sherry gravy and cooked pasta of your choice.
450g/1lb lean beef or lamb mince
1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
1 celery, finely chopped
1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped or grated
75g/3oz cooked, peeled chestnuts, finely chopped
15ml/1tbsp freshly chopped rosemary leaves
Salt and freshly milled black pepper
15ml/1tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
For the Sherry Gravy:
150ml/¼pint sweet sherry
200ml/7fl oz good, hot chicken or vegetable stock
1 sprig fresh thyme
1. Put the mince, carrot, celery, onions, chestnuts, herbs and seasoning in a large bowl. Mix together and shape into 20-22 small meatballs roughly the diameter of a ten pence piece.
2. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and cook the meatballs for 3-4 minutes on both sides until brown, shaking the pan lightly from time to time. Remove the meatballs from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
3. To prepare the gravy; add the sherry, stock and thyme to the same frying pan. Increase the heat and bring to the boil. In a small bowl mix the cornflour with 30ml/2tbsp cold water and add to the pan. Reduce the heat and heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring until the sauce thickens.
4. Return the meatballs to the pan with the gravy, reduce the heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes, or until the meatballs are piping hot.
5. Remove the thyme and serve the meatballs with cooked pasta or herby mashed potatoes and green seasonal vegetables.